Simon King gives you the benefit of more than thirty years’ experience with some building tips…
- Find a highly recommended architect
- Interview at least three architects for your project
- Pick their brains. They will probably all look at your project differently
- Ask architects for a realistic time scale for you to obtain planning.
- Seek references from your preferred builders
- Get at least one reference from a project which is still in progress
- Ask your builders where their other sites are, look for sign boards and knock on doors to get verbal references
About you, the client:
- Try to be realistic about what you are taking on and whether you should remain in your home during building works
- Aim to get your ideas agreed as soon as possible to prevent the build being held up.